Friday, July 17, 2009

Closer to Love: Mat Kearney




July 16, 7:30 p.m.

I love the Blue Note. If you’re lucky, it’s a perfect summer night, there’s good chillin’ music playing and a small, relaxed crowd. Lynsie and I started off the evening with our usual, pre-concert-tradition, round of shots. Hello, Cuervo Gold 1800. After a couple of libations, we posed by the cool photo booth (sans the booth), then waited front and center for the show to begin.


Erin McCarley was amazing. Angelic voice. She sang my favorite, Lovesick Mistake before ending and going to the front to meet fans. Perfect time for a bathroom break. By the time I got out, she was at the front signing goods and chatting. She seemed pleased when I mentioned that I saw her perform recently with Jack’s Mannequin and Matt Nathanson. Erin was incredibly sweet and petite. When I posed with her, I remarked how TINY she was, and she just giggled. I felt like a giant next to her.
Honestly, I have not listened to Mat’s new CD, City of Black & White (until now… amazing, AMAZING). Listen to Closer to Love. He is pretty awesome. Mat is not as engaging as Nathanson, but his voice is as soothing and satisfying. I envied Mat’s and Tyler’s mad guitar skills. They rotated different guitars like musical chairs. The incense wafting across the stage was a pleasant touch! For his encore, Mat sang my favorite, Nothing Left to Lose. Perfect. 

Afterwards, I resigned to hanging out by the bus until midnight to meet Mat Kearney. There were 20 ladies, a few guys and myself. OMflippingG, I am officially a groupie. If it weren’t for the group of sorority girls that I sat by and entertained me, I would have left sooner. One was inordinately pissed and offered to take my picture, even though Mat wasn’t there. Each crew and band member slowly boarded his bus. It was 12:30 a.m. and I had to go to the bathroom. This ALWAYS happens and just as I go to leave, they show up. 12:40 a.m. As I was ready to call it a day, Mat steps out of his bus. Nobody is moving, but I’m tired so I beeline over to him. He smiles and is affable and apologetic for “being so late.” He wanted to shower first. Lol. I handed my camera to one of the sorority girls and Mat says, “Oh I don’t look that good.” So I say, “You look better than us (I’m TIRED) … umm, you’re FRESH.” He just smiled. He signed my ticket, took a picture, and I thanked him for a wonderful night. {Ren Reiske © All Rights Reserved}




Erin is a tiny, tiny girl. I’m like SHREK next to her.












Shy and cute Tyler Burkham, cougar bait. I mean, bass guitarist. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I’d love to hear what you think. Drop me a line.