Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Packing 101

When I was 19, I traveled to the Philippine Islands for the first time and upon arrival, my luggage was lost. I didn’t get any of it back until a week later. During my first cruise, I discovered that over-packing and hauling large suitcases were not only cumbersome but expensive. I’ve become a better packer and weekend traveler, but now I faced a real challenge. For my first trip to Europe, via planes and trains, I am forced to keep it light and minimum: one carry-on baggage and one personal item (backpack). This is the same luggage I’ve used for weekend travels and I could not fathom how to squeeze 12 days of travel into two small bags. My photography equipment alone could fill a backpack. I literally obsessed over checking baggage regulations and making lists. I’m keeping my list/tips as a reminder, and hopefully this will all work out and I will have only a few new tips to add for the next trip! God willing.
Carry-on luggage. Measuring is important. I have a 21-inch rolling which sometimes meets regulations (expanded, it’s 22” including the wheels. Some airlines are very particular. Our airline allows a 22 x 14 x 9 with 45” linear (length + width + height) bag. Packing boots, walking shoes, umbrella (too many people warning me about London rain) liquids (Ziploc® bags are a must, 3 oz. or less containers, you know the drill), clothes and necessities I can fit … a male friend told me to bring 3 outfits and rotate them every 3 days. Yeah, maybe on Survivor. Not speaking for all women, but that’s easier said than done. However, I’m sticking to the basics (jeans, shirts, layers, scarves — I was told this is a must), keeping it light and crossing my fingers. 

Backpack. I splurged and bought a big, durable one, which was still cheaper than paying for and hauling a large suitcase (to be checked-in). This was a must for my cameras, small purse, iPod, several chargers and outlet converters, passport, travel books and papers. 
We are also packing an empty, flattened duffel bag for all the souvenirs and goodies we plan to haul back home. Whew! Are we there yet?

2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by. I’d love to hear what you think. Drop me a line.