Monday, November 8, 2010

Fall girl

Last week, I received a text from Beau. Life is like a box of chocolates (she was watching Forrest Gump at the time). It made me smile. You never know what you’re gonna get. 
I’ve been on this journey, unlike the every day journey we all take without being aware that it’s happening. I’ve been very aware of the little things, the things that make each day different. My days have not been on a schedule and for the the first time in quite awhile, it feels like I’m watching life unravel before me. 
During a course of two weeks, I changed my career path, my car windows broke, our heater stopped working and more recently, a family member was hospitalized. The latter was the only thing I could not change or fix … you never know what you’re gonna get.
My thoughts are with Valerie right now. She is the creative quilter who placed Beau, as a child, in the middle of this impressive quilt which hangs in her craft room. I stood and stared at it the other day — all the fine, intricate details which tell a story. The little girl whose face is a replica of my daughter’s. The little girl who is playing in the fall leaves, full of promise.
… about making a quilt,
you have to choose your combination carefully.
The right choices will enhance your quilt.
The wrong choices will dull the colors,
hide their original beauty.
There are no rules you can follow.
You have to go by your instinct.
And you have to be brave.
— How to Make An American Quilt 

{Matt and Ren Reiske © 2010 All Rights Reserved}

4 comments:

  1. I'm really liking this. I V is feeling better. Please let me know if I can help with anything--even if it's baking. Healing energy to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renette, I hope everything is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amy. I feel so fortunate to have a great support system -- my friends and family are the best. I'm learning so much and focusing on all the positive things ahead. Also, my m-i-l is doing better so that's good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard about V, so sorry. Hope she is up on her feet again soon. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I’d love to hear what you think. Drop me a line.